Apparently I’m in a soup phase this year. If it’s not split pea soup or broccoli or squash soup, it’s minestrone.
This recipe is a one-up of minestrone, with turkey sausage added. I adapted it from an old Weight Watchers cookbook. Here goes:
- 16 oz turkey kielbasa, sliced
- 1T minced garlic from a jar
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 4 cups raw kale (1 small bunch)
- 3 cups fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-oz can of seasoned diced tomatoes
- ½ c dry red wine or water (I went with water)
- 1 tsp dried basil
Add everything to the slow cooker; stir. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, until the vegetables are tender.